Orange County Child Photographer | Top 5 Tips for a Successful Photo Session
SEPTEMBER 2, 2017
Hello Friends! With the fall photography season almost upon us, now is the time to plan your photography session. Many people are nervous or worried about their session, but there is no need to be - photography sessions are fun! Here are the top 5 tips for your best session ever.
1. If you are having a family session done, make sure your kiddos are rested and fed. For babies and littles, it's a good idea to have them take a nap before the session. Having them wake around an hour before the session is ideal to get those post-nap crankies out. For older kids, allowing them some quiet time (if needed) is typically ok. I always recommend a healthy snack like fruit with nuts, a granola bar, or some Greek yogurt. These will fill little bellies and ensure kids aren't grumpy or hungry. This tip works for dads too!
2. Plan outfits ahead of time and make sure mom's outfit is picked first! Mama's are often the foundation of a family, working overtime and making sure everyone looks good together. But often she forgets about herself until the end. Moms should always feel stylish and beautiful, and their outfit can help build the foundation of what everyone else is wearing. It's also a great idea for mom to have her hair and makeup done professionally - she'll feel extra special and glamorous and more comfortable in front of the camera.
3. Enthusiastic family = fun pictures! Children will often follow their parents' lead. If you are excited to be there, chances are they will too! Also, tell your kids ahead of time they are going to have fun and be silly! Kids have a special magic, and part of a photo session is to capture that and their personalities, just as they are. If kids are allowed to roam free and be silly, they tend to be much more cooperative when asked to sit still for a minute and smile. Set that fun expectation ahead of time and you'll walk into the session prepared for a an hour of fun!
4. Have fun with your family! Don't be afraid to do those things that produce joy and laughter in your family. You will love those candid shots just as much as posed ones! If you normally toss your kids in the air, or twirl them around, let's capture that! If you love to arm wrestle your spouse, or you love to ballroom dance together, let's do it! These things allow your photographer to capture the beauty of your family as you are.
5. Don't stress! Your photo session is about having fun. I am here every step of the way, from location planning to outfit help, we'll work together to make sure you have the perfect family pictures this fall!
If you would like to book your fun fall family session, please click here!