Orange County Family Photographer - Family Session Q&A's!
MAY 18, 2020
Happy Monday friends! Well, it's week 52131247857 of the quarantine....but the light is at the end of the tunnel! With some businesses starting to re-open, I'm hoping to be able to start scheduling sessions by mid June again....I can't wait! Of course it's dependent on the state's orders but I feel like we are at least getting closer! I miss all my wonderful clients and photographing them and can't wait to do it again soon! To (sort of) celebrate, I'm putting together a collection of the most frequently asked questions I get for family sessions. As an Orange County family photographer, I want to make sure you go into your session comfortable and fully prepared! (PS - if you missed this adorable family, I posted their fun session last week!). 1. What does a family session entail? My family sessions are all about you, your family, and what you all love to do! They are tailored to your family, from the location, to the props, even outfit help! I make sure to get all those belly laughs, sweet snuggles and hugs and of course the love your family shares with each other! In my family sessions, I make sure to get a mix of both traditional, posed portraits and more candid, movement and laughter based portraits as well so that you get the best of both worlds!
2. How do I pick the location? During our initial meeting (typically over coffee!) I'll bring my iPad with me and show you examples of different locations that I've photographed in. From there, we can narrow down what type of location (beach, grassy fields, flower garden, etc) you'd like, then we choose the final location from there! Of course, if you have a special, beautiful location that has meaning to you and your family, let's chat about it! I'm always happy to go and photograph in new locations. One of the best things about being and Orange County family photographer is that the possibilities here are almost endless!
3. How can I get my kids/husband excited about my session? Kids and dads are typically the biggest hurdle, but don't worry! I've got many sessions of experience to get them happy for your photos! I usually recommend telling kids that they are going to do something fun. Please don't stress your kiddos out by telling them they have to behave and give "perfect" smiles. I have tricks up my sleeve to make sure that they laugh and we get natural looking smiles! Husbands I ask to come to the session with open minds! Many times dads think they are coming and will have to just stand still and pose. When they find out they are going to play games with their kiddos or hug their sweet wives they have fun too, and it shows in your images!
4. What about props? Props are something that some families love and others can pass on, and of course whether we incorporate them in your session is completely up to you! I have lots of fun props, from basic stools to fun ones like bubble machines! During our initial meeting, I'll show you examples of what props I have, and you decide which (if any!) I'll bring. I also always recommend bringing props that are sentimental to your family - like a stuffed animal you child adores and has all the time, or a photo of a loved one who was unable to join but who you'd love to have in your session. If you'd like to know more about my props and how to incorporate them, I did a blog post a little while back to help!
5. Do you offer a client wardrobe? I don't have a client wardrobe for all family members, but I do have many dresses for girls ages 1-7 that I always have available for use! I also offer a personal styling service that is included with all my sessions. I can either shop your closets and put together outfits for your family from what you already have, or if you'd like to purchase new outfits for your session you can give me a budget and I'll send you online choices that are matched, styled, and ready to go for your session!
6. Do you offer prints and albums that I can display in my home? Of course! My pricing includes all your digital images, but I always recommend printing and most of my clients do! Printing your images and displaying them in your home is the perfect way to remember your session! I do custom album design along with traditional prints and canvases.
7. How do I schedule a session? If you'd like to schedule your own Orange County family or child photography session, please get in touch! From there, we will meet for a cup of coffee or tea, go over all the details of your session, and schedule a date!